14 April 2022
Project of the Year over £10m sponsored by Hill Dickinson
Building Project of the Year over £10m SECBE Award 2022 finalist
GSE Building & Civil Engineering are based in Ashford, Kent and work on projects in the South East of England including their local community and surrounding areas. The company is focused on giving back and so it partakes in community engagement and has partnered with two charities, Mind and Demelza, that they hold incredibly close to their hearts.
Thinking of the local community, Waterbrook Park has been designed with the local and surrounding areas in mind.
The key actions are:
• Major relandscaping of site.
• Relocation and diversion of substantial existing services.
• Collaborative approach and co-operative working with local planning authority.
The major impacts are:
• Positive community benefits of truckstop. The all-new Ashford International Truckstop will allow 600 HGVs to park here at any one time, making this the largest truckstop in Europe. This directly benefits the community as it will massively help in reducing the number of lorries who park in residential areas around Ashford and the local area.
• Waterbrook Park will provide employment opportunities and the SME units are in line with Ashford Borough Councils local employment plans. Around 750 jobs will be created, and this has never been more important as it is in today’s climate due to unemployment as a result of the global pandemic.
• It has also built the foundation for future development in the area.
• Positive vision impact. The site sits on a major travel route and was an eyesore however due to landscaping and design this is now a positive visual within the area.
• One of the major considerations that GSE Group had were the Wildlife. They are delighted to have significant and environmentally friendly landscaping to nurture and encourage local flora, fauna and wildlife.
• There will also be 400 new homes that will sit on Waterbrook Park. This will help with housing for individuals and families who either currently live within the area or are relocating.
The most interesting facts are:
• The all-new Ashford International Truckstop will be the Largest Europe. It has also been innovatively designed, such as with accommodation, to really give the customers a home-from-home.
• Whole works are constructed over, and above, an existing high-pressure gas main.
• Site used to be used for constructing the rings for the Channel Tunnel.
• A new receptor area was constructed which allowed us to relocate a vast number of reptiles prior to the development starting.
The best lesson learned is that the development taught GSE Group the massive positive impact of integrating with the local community in terms of charity work, wildlife and employment opportunities as part of the construction community.
Find out who wins at the Constructing Excellence SECBE Awards 2022 Ceremony on Thurs 30th June 2022.
About the Building Project of the Year over £10m Award (sponsored by Hill Dickinson):
Project of the Year delivers outstanding outcomes for all those involved in a construction project. It showcases the benefits achieved through the application of many of the principles described in the other award categories. More info.